My random ramblings

Hello all my names Tracy and I hail from sunny West Bromwich. I mad about football and I support my local team West Bromwich Albion (and yes I did cry when we were relegated from the Premiership last season) I'm also a huge fan of Green Wing.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Picture Paints A Thousand Words - Part 1 Bangkok

Well here goes, as i'm no where near elequent enough (unlike my fellow bloggers such as Mr Swipe, Billy, Heather and the delightfull Molly, who are far better wordsmiths than myself) I thought I would let the pictures do the talking for me.

So sit back relax (try not to get too bored) grab yourself a drop of your favorite tipple and enjoy (well try)

Ok first stop Bangkok. This was the first place I visited. It looks a little like this









I was reliably informed that Bangkok is based on LA where the car is king. The city has no centre it's pretty much a mixture of skyscrapers, slums and the odd temple.

Traffic jams are plenty in Bangkok. It doesn't matter if they're on the roads or the waterways





I was actually in one of these boats, which all told are fairly unstable especially when negotiation corners. I really thought I would be going for a swim! This picture is taken at the floating market just outside of Bangkok.

I managed quite a few modes of transport when I was on holiday. There were planes, the odd boat (some of them were very odd) and I even took a little train journey



This is the train in question. We were actually trundling down what is known as the Death railway. Thousands of alied soldiers died in it's construction, it's a pretty sobering thought. The call it the Jeath railway in Thailand. Basically the name contains the capital letters of all the countries connected with it (Japan, England, Austraila, Thailand and Holland).




So if I went there I most certainly went to see the bridge, and the cemetary. These 2 places were really quite sad. I think the Cemetary was the saddest place, all those markers, line after line it really bought everything into perspective.



So finally on to the one thing there are plenty of in Bangkok. They say that in America there is Starbucks on every corner. Well In Bangkok there is a Temple on every street. So I will leave you with the most famous inhabitants of 2 of these temples. The Golden Buddah (who is solid gold) and the Reclining Buddah (who is plaster, covered in gold leaf, with mother of pearl inlaid into his feet)




So there you go that's my little pictorial guide to Bangkok and the surrounding areas. I hope you enjoyed it. My next installment will be the sights of Hong Kong so stay tuned it will be coming to a blog near you soon.

6 Comments:

Blogger baggiebird said...

Thanks Stacie. I hope they show a little of what I got to experience

10:13 pm  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I love those little boats. I would be scared of falling in the water. The pictures are really cool. I'd love to travel further afield.

1:50 pm  
Blogger baggiebird said...

The boats were a little on the precarious side, and they did sit quite low in the water, but it was a good laugh. As for the travelling go for it. I think it's always good to experience as much as possible when your young

3:21 pm  
Blogger baggiebird said...

Lord knows Steve coz i'm pretty sure I don't

8:17 pm  
Blogger Billy said...

I thought I'd already commented on this - apparently not. Oops!

Great set of pictures.

9:57 pm  
Blogger baggiebird said...

Cheers Billy. I will post some up from Hong Kong over the weekend

10:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home